2 July 2011

No Transfusion just yet

Paige had a lie in today and woke up at 6.00am, then fell asleep again and woke up at 9.45am. She is really tired now and is severely unhappy if I am more than 2 feet away from her. She had her final dose of Cytarabine today and screamed the entire time because we had to wake her up. I haven't seen her cry/cream like that since her first dressing was taken off and she was absolutely terrified, it broke my heart to watch her today and the nurses were pretty distressed too. But the silver lining in all of this, is that her illness hasn't broken her spirit. Even though she is visibly tired. Poor thing she's loosing her balance easily and isn't interested in climbing up the stairs anymore.
Anyway, after speaking with Dr Milard at QA she advised that we should hold off on Paige's transfusion until the sooner of me reporting that she is ill or unhappy or her hemoglobin falls below 6.0, she's currently 7.2.  So we'll take her down to QA on Sunday for a follow up full blood count and make a plan for next week based on that. She has her last dose of oral chemo, mercaptupurine on Monday, so if she can maintain her current blood levels till then she'll hopefully avoid a transfusion. As Dr Millard said 'we just shot her blood will some really big guns"

No comments:

Post a Comment