6 March 2013

First Day of Nursery and Swimming

We made it through yet another week of the dreaded dexamethazone; Just 4 more to go and definitely counting! Every month we have new issues as she continues to mature and become more aware of everything around her. On Wednesday night just before she fell asleep she said "mummy you forgot to give me my medicine", she was correct so I gave her the chemo and she went to sleep. On Thursday she flat out refused to take her chemo and said "I've had enough!", she completely broke my heart. I had to go against my better judgment and force her to have it. In the end we were both traumatized and I apologized. She said "it's ok mummy, don't do it again, ok!". On a brighter note, she awarded me with two green stones for being "good' last week. Once when I made her laugh and another time for sitting quietly and watching TV :-)....hmmm the student becomes the master.....

Anyways, medical update, after three weeks of having 50% of her oral chemo dosage Paige's neutrophils have held and she is still at 1.4 based on this Monday's blood results. So her dosage has now been upped to 100% asap. Tests have also now confirmed that her iron levels are quite low hence her consistent low hemoglobin levels 8.1-8.6 over the last couple of months. She has now started an iron supplement. You can't get anything past her so it is well hidden in her grape juice.

Now onto fun things:

Paige is now discovering the joys of dressing up and her big brother is her hero so she likes being Fireman Sam, as well as a fairy princess (pics to follow). Samuel of course is very involved in superhero week and is currently Batman.

Paige's dad is not just a pretty face and here he is making sausages for his beautiful daughter to reduce the amounts of preservatives that enter her body... and of course any threat of horse meat :-)

I was so very proud of her today, she packed her new goggles, her named towel and her swimming costume into her new personalised swimming bag and we were off to school. Yes I do like having the right kit :-). When we arrived at 8.20am, at the nursery Gigi the Head of Nursery reported that one of the kids had a spot, so we followed her directly to the swimming pool. Paige got changed, as did I. We got to the pool and in she jumped without so much as a glance back at me! She was so happy and at home in the pool, she lasted the full lesson without being tired and smiling all the way through! So much for me be worried that she would need me in the pool. Afterwards we walked back to the nursery and of course madame Paige refused to hold my hand, instead she held the hand of her 'new friend' another child at the nursery. She sat nicely and has a snack with the kids, they played outside, then came back inside. By now it's 11.30am and I was exhausted but Paige refused to come home. In the end I had to bodily remove her and she was not impressed. This was just a settling in visit. She will have another settling visit on Monday with lunch, then officially start on Wednesday next week.

She just looks so grown up now!

Next week Tuesday she has her penultimate LP. In other news Clayton is recovering nicely after his marathon 15 hour surgery last week Thursday. He is a true hero.


No comments:

Post a Comment